Femme Fitness Fever

What's a nice femme like me doing in a place like this? Sharing the joys, agonies and sheer craziness of getting in shape after 40 ...

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

A Typical Food Day in the LIfe

Not only do I try to keep my calorie intake between 1,850 and 1,900 calories a day, I also try to balance the ratios of carbs/protein/fat of my total food intake as close as I can to 45/30/25 (that's 45% carbs, 30% protein, and 25% fat). Fit Day has a kick-ass diet and weight loss journal that’s totally free and I use it religiously every day to track my food consumption and percentages.

Here is what a typical day of eating looks like for me (this was yesterday’s food record):

6:00 a.m.
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 cup 1% milk (I cannot freaking stand skim milk and will puke at the sight – 1% is as low as I’ll go)
1 small banana
1 ZOIC protein drink

8:30 a.m.
4 oz. Egg Beaters
1 cup coffee with 1% milk

11:30 a.m.
1 cup lettuce salad with assorted vegetables
2 tablespoons fat-free salad dressing
Healthy Choice Grilled Mandarin Chicken

2:30 p.m.
2 slices whole wheat bread spread with …
… 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter mixed with 1 tablespoon toasted wheat germ and 2 teaspoons honey

5:00 p.m.
5 oz. broiled fish
Baked potato (plain with only fat-free butter spray)
1 cup steamed broccoli
1 cup lettuce salad with assorted vegetables
2 tablespoons fat-free salad dressing

7:00 p.m.
1 mini-bag fat-free popcorn

TOTAL CALORIES: 1,875
Total ratios (carbs/protein/fat): 47/34/19

This also wasn’t one of the days where the Hershey’s Extra Dark Chocolate squares showed up, which they have a distressing tendency to do right around that time of the month *wink*


Notice two things. One, I eat every 2-3 hours, six times a day. You have to learn to do that. When you get too hungry, your body thinks "Starvation!" and we are trying to avoid that, remember? Also, when you get too hungry, it's a lot easier to start grabbing junk and cramming it into your yap. Been there, done that, about a million times. Second, I don't eat any later than 7:00 p.m., or at least 2-3 hours before I go to bed. While you're sleeping, if your belly is full, your body is going to expend energy digesting the food you ate before you went to sleep. If your belly is empty, it's going to expend energy burning stored fat. 'Nuff said.

One other thing. I’m not a big proponent of frozen dinners or prepared foods. I am a very serious cook and believe 100% in “real” food (more on that in a future post). But I’m a busy woman – throwing a frozen dinner and a handful of already-prepared salad mix into my lunch bag is a hell of a lot faster and more convenient than chopping veggies and weighing turkey breast in the morning. The most important thing is to stick to your food plan, so do what you need to do to make it work for you. And if that means eating a Weight Watchers or a Healthy Choice frozen dinner instead of something you prepared from scratch, then go for it.


Time for lunch :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home