Femme Fitness Fever

What's a nice femme like me doing in a place like this? Sharing the joys, agonies and sheer craziness of getting in shape after 40 ...

Saturday, June 23, 2007

No More "Dieting" ... Ever Again

Yowza ... I'm beat.

I don't usually go to school on weekends, but I'm enrolled in an advanced cosmetology program called "Bootcamp" that started yesterday ... an intensive, 150-hour advanced cosmetology course I opted to take when I first signed up for school. The course is taught by a man named Michael Della Penna, who is a world-famous stylist, competition champion (he has won close to two dozen US and European championships) and a trainer for the USA Teams in the World Hairdressing Championships. It is a privilege and an honor to be able to study with this gentleman, and this credential on my resume will do big, big things for my career. If the grueling workload doesn't kill me first, LOL.

I've realized something recently. Over the course of the past 18 months, I've worked on changing my lifestyle and habits to live a better, more fit life. I hit some roadblocks when I got hurt, but I've finally gotten into the "no start date, no end date" realm of fitness now ... where I have committed to balancing my nutrition every day for the rest of my life with no more "dieting." And I have to tell you ... it's like a huge burden has been lifted off my shoulders, to not have to worry about sticking to a "diet" anymore.

Even though I'm still in a weight loss cycle, I don't feel the least bit deprived. If a special occasion comes up - like company comes into town and we want to go to the beach for a pile of fried seafood, etc. on a day that's not my "free day" - then I enjoy myself in moderation with everyone else without guilt ... but then I get into "training mode" for the next couple of days to balance it all out and it works out perfectly. I've told my friends that once you get into this and it becomes your lifestyle, your head is so free of all the "diet clutter" that used to rattle around in there that you feel completely empowered and no longer a slave to the world of diets. I'm steadily losing weight, which is coming off healthfully, happily and - because I'm not worried about an "end date" - without any pressure at all. I honestly believe I'm now having much better success than most people because of it.

Here is what my recent nutrition plan looks like. I'm eating small meals six times a day and my seven-day eating plan is structured like this:

Two days (Monday, Thursday) - eat like I'm training (oatmeal, egg whites, grilled chicken, fish, sweet potatoes, green veggies, salad only)

Two days (Tuesday, Saturday) - eat clean but not as restrictive as the training diet (add limited amounts of whole grains, low-sugar fruits, low-fat milk, nuts)

Two days ( Wednesday, Friday) - eat clean all day, but allow one small treat during the course of the day (maybe a piece of chocolate after a meal or a small bowl of ice cream with crushed walnuts in the evening)

One day (Sunday) - Go Crazy Day ... anything goes and all bets are off!

So far, mixing it up like this is really helping to keep my metabolism moving and not allowing my body to find a particular set point. Plus, it gives me something to look forward to and doesn't make the training days seems so strict.

As long as it's working, I think this is the way to go :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home