Femme Fitness Fever

What's a nice femme like me doing in a place like this? Sharing the joys, agonies and sheer craziness of getting in shape after 40 ...

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Excuse Me While I Pause for a Moment for Station Identification

After re-reading some of the stuff I've put in my blog so far, I can see where it might be a bit overwhelming. It's a lot of information to digest. And I can also see where someone might say, "The hell with it, I don't have time" or "It's just too much effort. Let the bossy Italian woman make herself crazy on her own."

I just want to say one thing, though. There are a lot of weight loss commercials and advertisements and infomercials out there today for this pill, that gadget, this quick program that promise a lot of dazzling results with little effort. You know why? Fast and easy sells in this country. But fast and easy doesn't work. The percentage of clinically obese adults in this country has increased 75% since 1991. 75%!!! 1 out of every 3 adults in this country is obese. That terrifies me. Where will we be in the next 15 years? Will 2 out of every 3 adults in this country be obese by then? I'm thinking if we continue on the way we're going, that's exactly where we'll be.

There is no such thing as a magic pill. There is no such thing as a gadget that will sweat, pound, melt or laser-beam the fat off your body while you sleep/eat/call football plays from your armchair. There is no such thing as a program that can deliver effective results in 20 minutes a day, three times a week. NO SUCH THING. The advertising agencies and the corporations selling these products would like you to believe that, of course. But we have a lot of years of history that prove the exact opposite.

Getting fit takes effort and a commitment. We're all busy, I know that. I work full-time and I have a 14-month-old baby at home who wants my undivided attention the minute I walk in the door. Some days, I don't feel like I have room to breathe. But I make the time to exercise and I refuse to let my mind sabotage my efforts. No matter what it takes, those 60 minutes in the morning are mine and I do whatever it takes to make sure they are a priority. If it means I watch an hour less of TV one night, then I watch an hour less of TV. If it means I only check my e-mail a few times a week instead of every night, then I check my e-mail a few times a week. If it means Strutt and Katie have to do without me for 30 minutes on Saturday morning while I finish my workout, then guess what? They wait.

Like most things in life, you'll get out of it what you put into it. You'll never wish yourself thin nor will you find a magic wand that will make the fat disappear with a single wave. You won't have six-pack abs and muscle striations by hopping around half-heartedly for 60 or 90 minutes a week. But if you do make the commitment and put the time and effort into yourself, your body will reward you a thousandfold.

"There are a thousand reasons for failure, but not a single excuse." - Mike Reid, former All-Pro center for the Cincinnati Bengals and concert pianist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home