Femme Fitness Fever

What's a nice femme like me doing in a place like this? Sharing the joys, agonies and sheer craziness of getting in shape after 40 ...

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Choppy Waters

So far, this experiment is not turning out to be a success.

Yesterday, I ended the day at 1,711 calories, 48% fat, 10% carbs and 42% protein … that’s about 140 calories short of where I need to be. I added something into Fit Day twice by mistake and recorded the wrong serving amount for something else, so when I corrected my mistakes, my calories and protein % dropped and my fat % went up. I am so not happy.

That’s not the worst part. I understood going in that I might feel a little crappy during the first few days while my system adjusted to the carb restriction. What I did not expect was to bonk out halfway through my cardio this morning. I literally ran out of steam 30 minutes in and I always have enough energy for my workouts, even though I do fasted cardio and weights (more on that in a minute). By the grace of the Goddess, I finished the entire 60 minutes, both cardio and abs, but I had to drop my intensity and I felt like I was moving my arms and legs through quicksand with no muscle strength. It was a horrible sensation and I was a completely unhappy camper at the end of it all.

I’ve also been extremely sleepy all morning – driving to work was an exercise in not falling asleep at the red lights. Now, granted, Miss Katie was in one of her I-refuse-to-go-to-sleep-because-I-might-miss-something moods last night and I only got about six hours of sleep instead of eight, but it’s not like that doesn’t already happen on an occasional basis. And when it does, of course I’m more tired the next day, but never to the point of falling asleep while I’m driving or trying not to nod off while in a meeting. I have absolutely no oomph whatsoever and I hate the feeling – this unpleasantly reminds me of how I felt after Katie was born.

I don’t want to abandon the experiment only one day in, but I am giving this until Thursday evening. If I’m still having half-assed, piddly workouts and feeling like I’m going to keel over from exhaustion by then, I’m stopping and resuming my old nutrition plan. This is for the birds – even though I do have to admit, my appetite seems to have decreased. Although I don’t know if I should regard that as a bonus or not.

About doing fasted cardio or strength training – listen to half a dozen bodybuilders, aerobics instructors, fitness models, and gym rats and you’ll get half a dozen different opinions on if working out on a empty stomach is a help, a hazard, or just a preference. Personally, I think it’s an individual preference. I do much better when I work out first thing in the morning on an empty stomach – putting anything at all in my system practically guarantees I’m going to feel like vomiting at some point during my workout. Strutt, however, is the complete opposite – at the very least, s/he needs to drink a meal replacement shake before s/he works out or s/he gets sick. It’s really a question of doing what works the best for you and allows you to have the most effective workout.

Let’s keep our fingers crossed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home